Are you experiencing pain that begins in the lower back and radiates into the buttock and down your leg? This is more than likely caused by sciatica, which is compression of the sciatic nerve. The good news is, you are not alone. At least 40% of people will experience this pain throughout their life. Dr. Erika Hamer and the team at Ponte Vedra Wellness Center can help you get the treatment and relief you need quickly.
What Are the Symptoms of Sciatica?
Sciatica is most often caused by a herniated or slipped disc or the narrowing of the spine. It can also be a side effect of arthritis, injury, and diabetes. The condition is more common in overweight patients and patients that lead an inactive lifestyle. Patients suffering from sciatica will often experience:
- Lower back pain that radiates down the buttocks and the leg
- Muscle pain and weakness will become more intense after long periods of standing or sitting still but is relieved when walking
- Loss of movement
- A numbness or tingling sensation
In extreme cases, sciatica can lead to the loss of bowel and bladder control. Left untreated, the symptoms of sciatica can become worse for patients as they get older.
When you come to Ponte Vedra Wellness Center for sciatica treatment, we will begin with a full evaluation and conduct a complete medical history. From there, we will create a customized plan to relieve your pain and treat the root cause of your sciatica. Potential sciatic nerve pain treatments include:
- Restoring your spinal alignment to help relieve the pressure on your sciatic nerve.
- Hot and cold therapy to reduce inflammation of the nerve. This will often be an at-home treatment assigned to the patient. We will also train you on stretches and exercises you can do at home that will complement your chiropractic treatments.
- Spinal manipulation can help reduce sciatica caused by a herniated disc.
- Deep tissue massage therapy can help relieve the lower back pain often caused by sciatica.
Sciatic Nerve Pain Treatment in Ponte Vedra Beach and Nocatee
If you are suffering from sciatica in Ponte Vedra Beach or Nocatee, the chiropractic professionals at Ponte Vedra Wellness Center are ready to assist you. Our chiropractor will assess your musculoskeletal system to identify the root cause of your sciatic nerve pain before creating a chiropractic care plan to address it. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call us or request an appointment online.